Recipe Time! I discovered this beauty on One Green Planet & tweaked it slightly. I love the versatility of this dish and how it can double as a dessert and a breakfast. It’s super healthy, light, simple to make and best of all vegan!
Side Note: This recipe doesn’t actually involve any baking but the texture of the bananas once the dish is complete resembles fruit baked in the oven.
For The ‘Baked’ Bananas:
– 1 tsp of melted coconut oil
– 1 tbsp plant milk of choice (I use Almond Milk)
– 1/4 tsp cinnamon
– 1/8 tsp black strap molasses
– 1 banana (cut length ways & then in half so you have 4 pieces)
For The Oatmeal:
– 1/2 cup plant milk of choice
– 1/2 cup of water
– 1/2 cup of rolled oats
– 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
– 1/4 tsp cinnamon
– Pinch of salt
1. For The Bananas = combine the coconut oil, plant milk, cinnamon, molasses and pour into a small pan.
2. Use a medium/low flame and place the bananas cut-side down in the pan on top of the mixture.
3. While your bananas caramelise in the pan, bring the milk and water to boil in a small saucepan. Add the oats and reduce the heat to a medium/low flame. At this point I like to add a tsp of chia seeds but flax seeds work too!
4. Flip your bananas over and allow them to caramelise on both sides.
5. Once the oatmeal has absorbed more of the liquid, add the vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt. Stir.
6. Once you are happy with the consistency of your oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add the ‘baked’ bananas and top with whatever you like! I use Loving Earth’s Caramelised Buckinis and Blueberries – enjoy!!
Peace & Love xoxo
These “baked” bananas look so good and delicious! I want some right now 😀 I am no chef and I am amazed that the bananas don’t go all soft and mushy, and that’s the way I like my bananas – not mushy at all. This looks like it will make a great snack anytime of the day.
Thank you my dear!! I don’t like mushy bananas either! They stayed firm and delicious the entire time! Hope you’re well and can’t wait for your post! Xxx
That looks so delicious! Does it keep well? I would love to make it for breakfast but I have a really hard time making time for breakfast, do you think it would keep over night?
Thank you! Yes it does keep well, you could certainly keep it overnight especially as it’s vegan you won’t have any issues 🙂 let me know how it turns out! X
Great, thanks! I will 🙂