Welcome to Day 27 of my 31 Day Blogging Challenge in July. Today, I am going to be posting my favourite recipe. This one comes from Dr John McDougall’s book ‘The Starch Solution’ and has become a weekly favourite in our home for dinner. It’s honestly so yummy, healthy and easy to make! Plus it’s 100% vegan, low fat and oil free!
VEGAN LENTIL SLOPPY JOE’S!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 3 & 1/2 cups of water
- 1 brown onion chopped (I just use the frozen pieces!)
- 1 diced green capsicum
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder (I use Sriracha)
- 1 1/2 cups of lentils either dry or canned
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (I use Tamari Black Bean sauce – so good!)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (brown sugar works too)
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar (apple cider vinegar works too)
- 1 teaspoon vegetarian Worcestershire sauce (I say vegetarian because a lot of Worcestershire sauces contain anchovies so check the ingredients!)
- Cracked black pepper
- Additional veggies of your choice (I use corn & peas)
- Wholemeal rolls or a loaf of sourdough bread
HOW TO MAKE IT:
1.) Heat water in a large pot. Add onions & green capsicum, stirring for about 5 minutes until they begin to soften.
2.) Add chilli powder and mix well.
3.) Add remaining water, lentils, tomatoes and the rest of the ingredients. If you are using dry lentils, bring pot to a boil and then simmer with lid on until they are soft.
4.) Cook until your mixture is ready and serve on bread!
There you have it! This recipe is so simple and tasty! I love making it Monday nights after work and enjoying the leftovers the next day. What is your favourite recipe? Let me know if you make this one!
See you tomorrow!
Peace & Love xoxo
Disclaimer: This post contains links to my Amazon Affiliate which helps fund my blog