In 2020, I outlined the ins and outs of: The Vegan Cookbook Challenge! Click the title for more information.
Today I am sharing my 21st re-creation. Using a number generator, I landed on The Global Vegan and the result was a recipe for Lemon-Garlic Fava Beans & Mushrooms. Check out the menu category to see my past attempts. Without further ado, let’s see how I went below.
LEMON-GARLIC FAVA BEANS & MUSHROOMS – THE RECIPE
– 2 teaspoons of Olive Oil
– 1 small Red Onion, thinly sliced into half-moons
– 1/2 teaspoon of Salt, plus a pinch
– 3 gloves of Garlic, minced
– 1 tablespoon of chopped Fresh Thyme
– 8 ounces of Cremini Mushrooms, sliced in half
– 2 tablespoons of fine Dry Bread Crumbs (plain or seasoned)
– 2 cups of Vegetable Broth
– Several pinches of freshly Ground Black Pepper
– Juice and zest of 1/2 Lemon
– 2 cans of Fava Beans, rinsed and drained (3 cups)
– Slivered Scallions, for garnish (optional)
1.) Preheat a large pan over medium heat and add the oil. Sauté the onions in the oil with a pinch of salt for 5 to 7 minutes, until slightly browned. Add the garlic and thyme and sauté for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and cook to release their moisture, about 5 minutes.
2.) Add the bread crumbs, toss to coat everything, and toast the crumbs for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the broth, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper, lemon zest and juice, and fava beans. Bring to a boil. Let reduce and thicken for 7 minutes or so. Taste for seasoning and serve topped with scallions, if desired.
LEMON-GARLIC FAVA BEANS & MUSHROOMS – THE RESULT
Oh my gosh this came out so well! It was really delicious. All of the flavours worked perfectly but the true winner was the caramelised red onion. I served this with vegan sausages, vegan feta and olives to make a plant-based Mediterranean dish. The fava beans were very hearty and filling. I would 100% make this again.
I hope you enjoyed this post in The Vegan Cookbook Challenge! Let me know if you’ve made this dish before and have any tips on how to improve it. Thanks for reading!
Peace & Love xoxo