Welcome to April! Today I am going to be sharing with you a list of all my guilty pleasures. Some of these are downright embarrassing, so please be kind! I thought it would be fun to give you a little more insight into what I enjoy watching, reading, listening to and doing. I’m also hoping you get some ideas to check out during the global pandemic, so without further ado…let’s get into it!
– This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I actually adore old school, country Taylor Swift. I am currently listening to her debut album on repeat. My favourite songs are: Tim McGraw, Teardrops on my Guitar and Should’ve Said No. Does anybody else love this era of T-Swift?
– My other ‘guilty pleasure’ music artists are: Akon, Pitbull, David Guetta, Nickelback (why does everyone hate on them so much?!), Avril Lavigne, Owl City and old-school punk rock. I can just imagine my muso bestie Dave cringing so hard at this list haha.
– It’s no secret that I’m obsessed with horror films, which usually gets mixed reactions from different people. Horror is typically made fun of for being a lame, ‘culty’ type genre, but I firmly disagree. In October I’m going to be sharing with you my favourite horror films, television shows, books and games so stay tuned for that. I think horror can be done extremely well provided there is a solid storyline, good acting, artful filming and successful atmosphere building.
– I also love watching old school Disney films, which includes animated and non-animated movies. I have no issue putting The Parent Trap, The Lizzie McGuire Movie, The Brady Bunch Movies 1 & 2 and Freaky Friday on repeat. I love anything cheesy, feel-good and wholesome.
– Underrated movies that crack me up are: Liar Liar, The Hot Chick, Mystery Men, Beverly Hills Ninja and all the Austin Powers films.
– Finally, I am a huge fan of Mel Brooks and can quote every single line from Young Frankenstein. I also adore Sherlock Holmes Smarter Brother, The Producers and History of the World.
– Here is where I start to get a little embarrassed. I am absolute trash for trash television. I love reality shows like Big Brother, The Circle, Bride & Prejudice, Maury Povich, Ru Paul’s Drag Race and I used to be obsessed with The Biggest Loser before I realised how problematic it is. I am all about the drama and gossip! Does anybody else agree? Anybody?!
– I’m not sure if this is controversial or considered a ‘guilty pleasure’ but I am a massive fan of watching re-runs. Everybody could be raving about a brand new show and I’ll be sitting there watching Lost for the billionth time. It drives my husband crazy!
– Similar to the television show list, I am trash for drama channels. My favourite at the moment is JakeyonceTV – he makes videos all about Ru Paul’s Drag Race ‘tea’ so I get even more goodness than Untucked. I also just loving watching response videos to different YouTube creators; especially if they’re juicy! Give me all the goss!
– Another guilty pleasure that I watch at least once every couple of months are Let’s Plays for horror games. Let’s Plays are where you watch a gamer play through an entire game. For the older generation, this may seem baffling. Why would you want to watch another person play a game? Hear me out! 1.) I get to see if a game is worth purchasing and playing myself. 2.) The commentary is what makes the viewing so enjoyable. Take horror for example. If I watch somebody else play a scary game, I get to laugh when they scream and jump in their seats, but I don’t have to venture into the haunted house alone. It’s a lot of fun. I’ll link one of my favourites below.
– I sound like a broken record but I love the horror genre, so I read plenty of spooky books. As mentioned before, I will be sharing my horror favourites in October so keep your eyes peeled for that.
– I did enjoy the Twilight and Fifty Shades series when they were released. However, my opinions have changed since I started to become more of a critical reader. I had to mention them though!
– Finally, I love trashy romance novels, smut is always fun and I can’t say no to anything involving witches.
– Horror games? Yep!
– The Monkey Island series by LucasArts. It is so funny and just a good time.
– I could play Solitaire on my phone and laptop for hours…
Lastly, I have a miscellaneous section for my random guilty pleasures:
– I love going online shopping, adding lots of things to my cart and then just never buying them. Does anybody else do this?
– Aiden Zhane and Pennywise are my guilty pleasures. If Aiden ever dresses up as Pennywise well…enough said!
– Food-wise I’m obsessed with chocolate even though it upsets my stomach. I also am a fan of mock-meats and eat them regularly. Yum!
– Finally, I love those Instagram character filters. If you follow me, I have a whole highlight reel dedicated to them. Check out my_bookish_universe on IG and tag me in any that you do!
That is my list! I’m sure I’ve forgotten a lot. What are some of your guilty pleasures? Do you agree with any of mine? Thanks so much for reading!
Peace & Love xoxo
Omg I love this idea, this post is brilliant! I am in complete agreement with you regarding the old Taylor Swift era ahah. Would you mind if I did a similar post? I’ll be sure to give you credit for the idea x
Thank you so much I’m so glad you liked it!! Of course you can do it too, I look forward to reading your responses!! Haha I’m glad somebody agrees with me about old school Taylor! X
I also add a LOT of items on my shopping cart and hardly buy them.
After the lockdown started, I made four ACTUAL orders via eBay but haven’t received any of them till now where they were supposed to be delivered by the first week of April.
Maybe better to add on cart and never buy. Best option. 🙂
Haha glad I’m not the only one! Everything is so delayed since lockdown. Hope you receive them soon!
I really enjoyed this post! No need to be ashamed of your guilty pleasures. I also like Taylor Swift from the decade-ago era. Have to say I like some Nickelback songs but not really the band haha 😂 I too don’t mind watching an old TV series again and again! A lot of the new TV series just don’t catch my attention – and I won’t get very far into it. Take care my friend.
Thank you my friend! It was nice to see we have similar interests in music and tv 🙂 I miss you! I hope you’re doing well xx
Nice mention of Resident Evil 7! 😀 Love that game so much
Same!! Love your blog! Keep up the good work!