Welcome to April! Today I am going to be sharing with you a list of all my guilty pleasures. Some of these are downright embarrassing, so please be kind! I thought it would be fun to give you a little more insight into what I enjoy watching, reading, listening to and doing. I’m also hoping you get some ideas to check out during the global pandemic, so without further ado…let’s get into it!
– This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I actually adore old school, country Taylor Swift. I am currently listening to her debut album on repeat. My favourite songs are: Tim McGraw, Teardrops on my Guitar and Should’ve Said No. Does anybody else love this era of T-Swift?
– My other ‘guilty pleasure’ music artists are: Akon, Pitbull, David Guetta, Nickelback (why does everyone hate on them so much?!), Avril Lavigne, Owl City and old-school punk rock. I can just imagine my muso bestie Dave cringing so hard at this list haha.
– It’s no secret that I’m obsessed with horror films, which usually gets mixed reactions from different people. Horror is typically made fun of for being a lame, ‘culty’ type genre, but I firmly disagree. In October I’m going to be sharing with you my favourite horror films, television shows, books and games so stay tuned for that. I think horror can be done extremely well provided there is a solid storyline, good acting, artful filming and successful atmosphere building.
– I also love watching old school Disney films, which includes animated and non-animated movies. I have no issue putting The Parent Trap, The Lizzie McGuire Movie, The Brady Bunch Movies 1 & 2 and Freaky Friday on repeat. I love anything cheesy, feel-good and wholesome.
– Underrated movies that crack me up are: Liar Liar, The Hot Chick, Mystery Men, Beverly Hills Ninja and all the Austin Powers films.
– Finally, I am a huge fan of Mel Brooks and can quote every single line from Young Frankenstein. I also adore Sherlock Holmes Smarter Brother, The Producers and History of the World.
– Here is where I start to get a little embarrassed. I am absolute trash for trash television. I love reality shows like Big Brother, The Circle, Bride & Prejudice, Maury Povich, Ru Paul’s Drag Race and I used to be obsessed with The Biggest Loser before I realised how problematic it is. I am all about the drama and gossip! Does anybody else agree? Anybody?!
– I’m not sure if this is controversial or considered a ‘guilty pleasure’ but I am a massive fan of watching re-runs. Everybody could be raving about a brand new show and I’ll be sitting there watching Lost for the billionth time. It drives my husband crazy!
– Similar to the television show list, I am trash for drama channels. My favourite at the moment is JakeyonceTV – he makes videos all about Ru Paul’s Drag Race ‘tea’ so I get even more goodness than Untucked. I also just loving watching response videos to different YouTube creators; especially if they’re juicy! Give me all the goss!
– Another guilty pleasure that I watch at least once every couple of months are Let’s Plays for horror games. Let’s Plays are where you watch a gamer play through an entire game. For the older generation, this may seem baffling. Why would you want to watch another person play a game? Hear me out! 1.) I get to see if a game is worth purchasing and playing myself. 2.) The commentary is what makes the viewing so enjoyable. Take horror for example. If I watch somebody else play a scary game, I get to laugh when they scream and jump in their seats, but I don’t have to venture into the haunted house alone. It’s a lot of fun. I’ll link one of my favourites below.
– I sound like a broken record but I love the horror genre, so I read plenty of spooky books. As mentioned before, I will be sharing my horror favourites in October so keep your eyes peeled for that.
– I did enjoy the Twilight and Fifty Shades series when they were released. However, my opinions have changed since I started to become more of a critical reader. I had to mention them though!
– Finally, I love trashy romance novels, smut is always fun and I can’t say no to anything involving witches.
– Horror games? Yep!
– The Monkey Island series by LucasArts. It is so funny and just a good time.
– I could play Solitaire on my phone and laptop for hours…
Lastly, I have a miscellaneous section for my random guilty pleasures:
– I love going online shopping, adding lots of things to my cart and then just never buying them. Does anybody else do this?
– Aiden Zhane and Pennywise are my guilty pleasures. If Aiden ever dresses up as Pennywise well…enough said!
– Food-wise I’m obsessed with chocolate even though it upsets my stomach. I also am a fan of mock-meats and eat them regularly. Yum!
– Finally, I love those Instagram character filters. If you follow me, I have a whole highlight reel dedicated to them. Check out my_bookish_universe on IG and tag me in any that you do!
That is my list! I’m sure I’ve forgotten a lot. What are some of your guilty pleasures? Do you agree with any of mine? Thanks so much for reading!
Peace & Love xoxo